POLYURETHANE-COATED PENDANTS FOR MARINE USE
The U.S. Army Mobility Equipment Research and Development Center (USAMERDC) has fabricated and tested two sizes of polyurethane coated nylon pendants. The large size pendant is 9-in circumference and 100-ft long with eyes spliced in each end. The smaller size pendant is 6-in. circumference and 80-ft long with eyes spliced in each end. The nylon portion of the pendants consists of 2-in-1 braided nylon rope. The pendants are intended for use in multi-leg moorings for tankers as the connecting link between an explosively embedded anchor and a mooring buoy. The pendants function is to provide elasticity or stretch in each mooring leg. This enables the mooring to accommodate the motions of the moored tanker, preventing excessive mooring loads on the embedded anchors. The polyurethane coating on the pendants provides protection to the nylon rope both in storage and in service.
- Also published in Journal of Marine Technology Society, Vol. 6 No. 5, pp 17-23, Sept.-Oct. 1972.
Army Mobility Equipment R&D CenterFort Belvoir, VA United States
- Mayo, H C
- Publication Date: 1972-3
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Anchoring; Anchors (Mooring devices); Mooring cables; Moorings; Rope; Single point moorings; Tankers
- Old TRIS Terms: Embedment anchors; Explosive anchors; Rope technology; Spm cluster facilities; Tanker moorings
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00035577
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: USAMERDC-2027 Intrm Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 27 1974 12:00AM