NEW REQUIREMENTS FOR THE METROPOLITAN PLANNING ORGANIZATION (MPO); A FORUM FOR COOPERATIVE DECISION-MAKING OR AN IMPOSSIBLE MANDATE?
The significance of the Federal Urban Transportation Planning Regulations with respect to the Metropolitan Planning Organization are reviewed. Also, a description of the issues and problems confronting the MPO and the possibilities of integrating long and short-range planning are included. The new Federal Regulatons have several important significances. Because the regulations have emphasized the link between planning and programming, the activities of the MPO will necessarily become more meaningfull and relevant. The planning process must also be carried out in at least two dimensions, short-term and long-term. New considerations must be made in the planning process to ensure for the efficiency of the system, air quality improvement and mobility needs of the elderly and handicapped. Some urban regions will have continuing problems in establishing acceptable MPO's which are able to meet their responsibilities. It is suggested that there be a simple MPO for each urbanized area, established under State law, eligible to receive both highway planning and transit planning funds from DOT, and be recognized by the Office of Management and Budget to perform Federal Aid Review functions. Professional transportation planners also face a major challenge in demonstrating that adequate technical tools can be developed and applied to meet the new Federal madates. The significance of both long and short-range planning necessitates a conscious policy decision to fix some long-range goals as inputs to the short-term decision making process. In so doing, long-term transportation commitments can be identified and worked toward within a process that will give primary consideration to short-term consequences.
- Proceedings of the 46th Annual Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland, August 15-19, 1976.
Institute of Transportation Engineers1627 Eye Street, NW, Suite 600
Washington, DC USA 20006
- Kochanawski, R
- Publication Date: 1976
- Pagination: p. 55-57
- Publication of: Institute of Transportation Engineers, Inc
- Publisher: Institute of Transportation Engineers
- TRT Terms: City planning; Regulation; State government; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Law; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00150448
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 27 1981 12:00AM