THE PROBLEM OF FUMES IN THE WELDING ENVIRONMENT
U.S. and U.K. legislation, summarised by the Author, controls the emission of particulate and gaseous fumes in industrial welding processes. This has led to the establishment in the U.S. of limiting concentrations, termed Threshold Limit Values (TLV), which have been adopted in a number of European countries, including the U.K. These TLV's define the upper limits of various pollutant fumes that can be inhaled, without any risk to health, by welding operators throughout their working life. For the past four years, the Welding Institute has been conducting a laboratory and works experimental program aimed at devising reliable tests by which the actual fume emissions from the various welding processes in use can be sampled, analysed, and compared with the accepted TLV's. The tests are described in some detail. Despite the number of variables that have to be taken into account, the results enabling sampling and analysis techniques to be selected which will provide provide reliable data on the various pollutant constituents in any sample of welding fumes. An advisory booklet has been produced by the Institute providing information on the precautions necessary in many different welding situations.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00432296
- Also available from the British Ship Research Association, Wallsend Research Station, Wallsend Northumberland England.
American Welding Society2501 NW 7th Street
Miami, FL USA 33125
- Oaklay, P J
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- Welding Journal
- Publisher: American Welding Society
- ISSN: 0043-2296
- TRT Terms: Fumes; Occupational safety; Safety; Shipyard personnel; Shipyards; Welding
- Old TRIS Terms: Personnel safety; Shipyard safety; Welder safety; Welding fumes
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00157843
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1977 12:00AM