INVITED PAPER: THE MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL OF HEAVY CONSTRUCTION AND MAINTENANCE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM
A brief summary is given of the management structure for the highway network in the U.K. and of the administrative procedures used for the initiation, preparation and execution of new works and of maintenance programmes. Recent developments, are dealt with in more detail. These include public participation in planning; techniques for assessing benefits from new works in relation to cost; provisional intervention standards for maintenance; techniques for assessing maintenance needs, including inspection systems and the rating of road condition. Also dealt with are the associated engineering developments such as the methods for measuring structural and superficial conditions of highway pavements and methods (and materials) for providing adequate skidding resistance praticularly for intense traffic. An aspect of management that has received particualr attention is the control of materials and site methods, and techniques of assessing compliance with specification, using a statistical approach to allow for the inherent variability of the system.
- Record URL:
- Proceedings of the Eighth ARRB Conference, University of Western Australia, August 1976.
ARRB Group Limited500 Burwood Highway
Vermont South, Victoria 3133
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 35 p.
- Volume: 8
- TRT Terms: Administration; Benefit cost analysis; Highway maintenance; Highway planning; Inspection; Pavements; Public participation; Road construction; Skid resistance; Specifications
- Old TRIS Terms: Highway pavement
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Construction; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Pavements; Society;
- Accession Number: 00156076
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1978 12:00AM