FREIGHT DATA REQUIREMENTS FOR STATEWIDE TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS PLANNING
Since freight planning on a statewide basis is in the early stages of development, a basic core of knowledge about goods transport must be developed and existing freight data source material must be identified. This project determined the data requirements for statewide freight transportation planning and prepared a manual on how the states may obtain primary and secondary data. The result was an extensive catalog of freight data sources for use by state and regional planners. Procedures and techniques for obtaining primary and secondary data are described. Five types of planning activities and analysis techniques were examined to determine specific data requirements: demand forecasting, mode choice analyses, network analysis, economic evaluation, and impact estimation. States are not advised to conduct their own primary surveys except in cases where limited, specialized information is required that is not available from any other source. States should generally rely on existing secondary data for freight transportation system planning purposes. The specific methods presented in the user manual were taken from previous planning studies and can be successfully applied by other agencies.
- Record URL:
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1977-2
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 4 p.
- NCHRP Research Results Digest
- Issue Number: 92
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Economic conditions; Economic impacts; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Manuals; Mode choice; Regional planning; Regional transportation; States; Transportation; Transportation planning; Travel demand
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Modal selection; State planning
- Subject Areas: Economics; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00153126
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: May 31 1977 12:00AM