AUSTRIAN METHOD OF TUNNEL BUILDING IN VERY HEAVILY SQUEEZING GROUND IN MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN THEORY AND PRACTICE
The largest structure along the Tauern highway section between Salzburg and Villach is the 6. 4-km-long Tauern Tunnel. The major geotechnical problems that came up while driving the headings of the tunnel and their successful solution form the content of this paper. A detailed discussion is presented of the special construction methods developed by systematic application of the principles of the New Austrian Tunneling Method with which even ground under very great pressure with large excavation areas can be mastered reliably and economically.
- Proceedings of the 3rd Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, June 14-17, 1976.
American Institute of Mining, Mettalurgy & Petroleum Engineers345 East 47th Street
New York, NY USA 10017
- Poechhacker, H
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Pagination: p. 464-512
- TRT Terms: Geotechnical engineering; Mountains; Terrain; Tunneling
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00152736
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 20 1977 12:00AM