THREE-PHASE PROPULSION IN DIESEL AND ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVES FOR HEAVY FREIGHT AND FAST PASSENGER SERVICE
The development, prototype testing and design for production of diesel and electric locomotives with three-phase alternating current traction motors are described. The asynchronous motor, the solid-state inverter for supplying the motor, and efficiency of the electrical power conditioning system are discussed. Applications of the 35 three-phase locomotives built or on order are explained.
- Presented at the 1977 Joint ASME/IEEE/AAR Railroad Conference, March 30-April 1, in Washington, D.C.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)3 Park Avenue, 17th Floor
New York, NY United States 10016-5997
- Korber, J
- Teich, W
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: p. 1-14
- TRT Terms: Alternating current motors; Asynchronous motors; Diesel electric locomotives; Electric locomotives; Electric power conditioning; Inverters; Locomotives; Motors; Propulsion; Prototypes; Solid state devices; Traction; Vehicle design; Vehicle power plants
- Candidate Terms: Traction drives
- Uncontrolled Terms: Propulsion systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design; Solid state
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00152461
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Report/Paper Numbers: 77CH1237-71A Tech. Pap.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 27 1977 12:00AM