This survey paper describes general features of the occurrence and behavior of river-ice jams. Some of the earlier work on ice-jam mechanics is reviewed. A new, simplified theory is developed for the prediction of the thickness and propagation velocity of ice jams, and for the increase in the river stage the jam produces. The problem of the strength of ice jams is reviewed. Pressing research problems related to ice-jam mechanics are discussed.
- International Symposium on Ice Problems, 3rd, Proceedings, Darthmouth College, Hanover, NH, Aug., 18-21, 1975.
International Association for Hydraulic ResearchCommittee on Ice Problems
Hanover, NH United States
- Kennedy, J F
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: References;
- Pagination: p. 143-165
- TRT Terms: Ice; Motion; Obstructions (Navigation); River ice; Thickness
- Old TRIS Terms: Ice movement; Ice thickness
- Subject Areas: Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00152011
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 27 1977 12:00AM