SIMPLE FIELD MEASURE OF ICE STRENGTH
A simple penetration test is proposed to provide an index of ice strength. The penetration involved is that of a fastener fired into the ice sheet using a commercially available power tool. The correlation between fastener penetration and ice strength has been established from compression tests carried out in the field over the past three winters. These tests are described, the correlation presented and analyzed and the application of the test discussed.
- International Symposium on Ice Problems, 3rd, Proceedings, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, August 18-21, 1975.
International Association for Hydraulic ResearchCommittee on Ice Problems
Hanover, NH USA
- Gerard, R
- Publication Date: 1975
- Pagination: p. 589-600
- TRT Terms: Compression tests; Ice; Ice phenomena; Strength of materials
- Old TRIS Terms: Ice characteristics; Ice strength
- Subject Areas: Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00151966
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM