RESULTS FROM TWO YEARS OF TESTING A GREAT LAKES ORE CARRIER IN ICE FIELDS, VOLUMES I AND II
Volume I--The effectiveness of an air coating system to reduce ore carrier resistance in brash ice fields and the ice forces on the bow of a Great Lakes ore carrier are presented as a result of a two year test program. Design of the air coating system and the ice force measurement system are described including the subsequent shipyard modification. A sample calculation to determine the economic benefits versus cost is also presented. Volume 11--Contains seven appendices: principal characteristics of the ore carrier LEON FRASER, describes the locations of ice bottleneck portions of the Great Lakes, air coating system test data, strain gage measurements, maneuvering tests with air coating system, ice thickness measurements along the ship route, and observed effective channel preparations in the ice sheet.
- Volume II is also available from NTIS as a separate document. It contains seven appendices.
Arctec, Incorporated9104 Red Branch Road
Columbia, MD United States 21045
- Levine, G H
- Voelker, R P
- Kotras, T V
- Kosterich, P P
- Peter, J J
- Publication Date: 1974-7-15
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk carriers; Fluid resistance; Force; Hulls; Ice; Ore carriers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hull resistance
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Air bubbling systems; Ice forces on structures
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00157293
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RD-930-75013 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: 4-37064
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 4 1977 12:00AM