MARITIME APPLICATIONS OF AN ADVANCED GAS-COOLED REACTOR PROPULSION SYSTEM
A lightweight marine gas-cooled reactor which is an outgrowth of the nuclear rocket program is described. A study showing the installation of this plant in place of gas turbines in a high-performance surface ship and a cargo liner is presented. A discussion is included of the effects of the change in powerplant on hull stress, machinery box size, first cost and operating cost.
- Paper presented at 1977 SNAME Spring Meeting and STAR Symposium, San Francisco, California, May 25-27.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Thompson, R E
- Miller, R T
- Publication Date: 1977
- TRT Terms: Economics; Nuclear power; Nuclear power plants; Nuclear reactor coolants
- Old TRIS Terms: Gas cooled reactors
- Subject Areas: Economics; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00153828
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Reporter and Engineering News
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM