UPDATING AN ANCIENT ART--RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT TOWARD MODERN WIND POWERED CARGO SHIPS
A thorough overview of research in the aerodynamics of sails and the optimization of novel rigs for sailing cargo ships is provided. Theoretical and practical limits in sailing ship size are discussed, criteria are offered for the selection of the rig and hydrodynamic characteristics of sailing ship hulls are covered. Conceptual designs of cargo ships in the "handy" 17,000 to 25,000-dwt range are presented.
- Paper presented at 1977 SNAME Spring Meeting and STAR Symposium, San Francisco, California, May 25-27.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Warner, W L
- Kossa, M M
- Publication Date: 1977
- TRT Terms: Sailing ships
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00153820
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Reporter and Engineering News
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM