DEVELOPMENT OF STERN TUBE SEALING DEVICE FOR 372,000 DWT OIL TANKER NISSEKI MARU
Lignumvitae bearings of water lubrication system have been used for stern tube bearings in the past. However, they were not able to keep pace with the growth in size of ships on account of their lower wear resistance, and in recent years white metal bearings (oil bath lubrication system) have been growing in popularity for use as stern tube bearings in ships of both Japanese and foreign make. However, the history of practical use of stern tube bearings using the oil bath system is rather short and troubles have often been experienced. Since this system had never been applied before to a mammoth deep draft ship, various experiments and modifications were carried out to ensure the reliability of the system prior to practical application to such a ship. Thus, white metal bearings of oil bath lubrication system applicable to the 372,000 DWT oil tanker NISSEKI MARU, were successfully developed through improvements on the rubber material and lip section contour of oil seals currently in use.
- In Japanese-no charge. In English-req price. Report done by Shipbuilding Division. Nippon Sealol Co., Ltd.
Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.2-16, Toyosu 3 Chome, Koto-Ku
Tokyo 135, Japan
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: p. 475-484
- Ishikawajima-Harima Engineering Review
- Volume: 11
- Issue Number: 6
- Publisher: Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- TRT Terms: Bearings; Lubrication; Propeller components; Propeller shafts; Sterns
- Old TRIS Terms: Bearing lubrication; Propeller shaft seals; Stern bearings; Stern tube bearings
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00034440
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1973 12:00AM