DEVELOPMENT AND OPERATION OF A NAVIGATIONAL MONITORING SYSTEM
The paper reviews how marine affiliates of the "Exxon" corporation reacted to a series of navigational incidents that were attributed to the human element. What evolved was a "navigation and bridge organization manual" based on a system of four integrated elements: navigation policy, voyage plan/navigational check list, bridge organization, and monitoring. Examples of forms, documents and check lists are given.
- Presented at the Symposium on the Operation of Large Ships in London, March 1976.
Royal Institution of Naval Architects, England10 Upper Belgrave Street
London SW1X 8BQ, England
- Blackwood, I B
- Publication Date: 1976
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridges; Crashes; Human error; Navigation systems; Ship operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Bridge collisions
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00159928
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Research Institute of Norway
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 13 1977 12:00AM