CONTRIBUTION OF ELASTIC AND PLASTIC MECHANICS TO THE STUDY OF SHIPS COLLISIONS
This paper, is divided into two main sections. First, an energy balance involving application of a semi-empirical method and experimental results is developed. This method apportions the deformation energy dissipated during collision among the individual structural components of colliding vessels. Second, a calculation is performed of the impact forces occurring during collision, using the theory of ultimate load-carrying capacity. Plastic deformations, stability phenomena and associated investigations of side protection strength are taken into account. An appendix deals with the theory of deformation for various types of plating-covered structures together with details of related experimental tests.
- Paper available in English as B.S.R.A. Translation No. 3957.
British Ship Research AssociationWallend Research Station
- Reckling, K A
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Elastic analysis; Load limits; Plastic analysis; Water transportation crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Load carrying capacity
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00159906
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 20 1977 12:00AM