SUNDERLAND METRO - CHALLENGE AND OPPORTUNITY

This paper discusses the project to extend the Tyne and Wear Metro system to Sunderland. Last extended to Newcastle International Airport in 1991, it is now intended that a further 19 km extension to the Metro system be constructed to Sunderland city centre and beyond to South Hylton. Unlike the existing system, which was wholly funded by the public sector and is owned and operated by Nexus, Sunderland Metro will be provided by way of an entirely different route. Nexus will procure the project from Railtrack, the national track authority. Railtrack will in turn manage the construction contracts and part fund the cost of construction. Nexus will obtain a licence to operate the Metro service from the Rail Regulator, and will pay Railtrack a track access charge for the use of its network. Under this arrangement, approximately 45% of the construction costs will be funded by Railtrack, leaving Nexus to find the remaining 55% from other sources - principally central government by way of S56 grant and from Europe in the form of ERDF grant. Nexus has had to embrace new procedures such as the Transport and Works Act which has replaced the format private bill procedure for acquiring statutory powers for infrastructure projects, and its choice of the existing railway line to Sunderland will bring the Metro operation under the scrutiny of the rail regulator for the first time since the inception fo the 1993 Railways Act. The impact of such schemes on the environment and the public can be significant if not managed properly and the onus is very much on scheme promoters to ensure that, by careful design, consultation and planning, adverse effects are kept to a minimum. (A

Language

  • English

Media Info

  • Pagination: p. 53-63
  • Serial:
    • Volume: 133
    • Issue Number: 2

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00779282
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
  • Files: ITRD
  • Created Date: Dec 7 1999 12:00AM