GUIDE FOR QUALITY ASSURED FIBERGLASS REINFORCED PLASTICS STRUCTURES
The guide contains much of what one needs to know for the construction of reinforced plastic hulls, and will be useful as a shop manual in ship and boatyards engaged in this kind of work. The Guide covers in a thorough manner the basic materials with which the builder works, including the properties of glass-reinforced laminates and the handling of other materials such as wood or foams that are included in the construction. It also discusses the properties of the various types of binding resins and fibers that can be used in building the molds and in constructing the hulls. Additional chapters cover the storage of the basic materials and other practical considerations in the maintenance of an efficient and safe boat-building operation, and of course the manner in which the materials are applied in actual construction. Another large part of the new guide is given over to tried and true inspection and testing techniques developed by the experience and expertise of Panel HS-10. A complete bibliography of references is included as well as a 20-page glossary of the common terms that are used in fiberglass construction.
- Technical and Research Bulletin 2-23 costs $9.75 per copy if payment accompanies the order. Member price is $6.50.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 60 p.
- TRT Terms: Fiber reinforced materials; Fiberglass; Glass fiber reinforced plastics; Shipbuilding; Shipbuilding materials
- Old TRIS Terms: Fiberglass reinforced materials; Fiberglass ship construction
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00159623
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: T&R Bulletin 2-23
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1977 12:00AM