TASK ANALYSIS REPORT REPORT RELATIVE TO VESSEL COLLISIONS, RAMMINGS, AND GROUNDINGS
The report describes the processes and results of analysis of tasks of bridge personnel on tankers and other deep draft cargo vessels and on towboat-barge arrays. The Functional Job Analysis (FJA) method of task analysis was applied. The report provides a data base of comparable and concise descriptions of the tasks required for vessel control using currently available onboard equipment, information, and external aids. The data base includes, for each task, the action required, the expected result, equipment/materials/sources of information, degree of prescription/discretion involved, performance standards, and general educational background and job-related training requirements. Ratings of task complexity are provided. The analysis was performed at a generalized level for fleet-wide applicability. The analysis was iterated for three scenarios: mooring/unmooring, maneuvering in restricted waters, and coastal/open sea navigation. The analytic intent was to establish a baseline for systematic, continuing research into human factors in merchant vessel casualties. In addition, recommendations was made of actions that might be taken in the near term to improve the safety of vessel control operations.
- Volume I (AD-A037316) contains an overview of the analysis, findings, and recommendations, plus supporting appendices A-E. Volume II (AD-A037317) and III (AD-A037442) contain task data in appendices F and G. (for tankers and towboats, respectively.)
Operations Research, Incorporated1400 Spring Street
Silver Spring, MD United States 20910
- Smith, J
- Daniels, P
- Paramore, B
- Porricelli, J
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 63 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash avoidance systems; Crash causes; Fatalities; Human factors engineering; Job analysis; Personnel performance; Ship operations; Tankers; Towboat operations; Water transportation crashes
- Old TRIS Terms: Ship casualties; Tanker operations
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00159584
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Department of Transportation
- Report/Paper Numbers: CG-D-1-77 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: CG-4190-A
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 20 1977 12:00AM