SECOND REPORT FROM THE SELECT COMMITTEE ON SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY: ADVANCED GROUND TRANSPORT, SESSION 1975-76, REPORT AND APPENDICES
The result of an inquiry held in 1973 by the Select Committee on Science and Technology of Session 1972-73 into the circumstances surrounding the termination of the work of Tracked Hovercraft Ltd (THL) is discussed, and a review presented of developments that followed the publication of the committee's report. The original objective of THL is described as to build a three mile full-scale test track and two research vehicles: one, on rubber tyres, to test linear motors, controls and current collection up to 150 mile/h, and the other to test non-contact suspension systems and linear motors up to 300 mile/h. The report of the Science Research Council (SRC) panel on advanced ground transport published in October 1975 is discussed in relation to proposals that had been presented by Imperial College concerning the future use of the THL facilities at Earith, Huntingdonshire, and to the proposal for the establishment of an SRC research institute based at Earith. Research needs are reviewed in respect of evidence provided by the Department of the Environment and the Department of Industry jointly, and prospects for advanced ground transport development presented for consideration. Conclusions and recommendations include proposals that the SRC should accept, in principle, proposals for the provision of a central research facility to focus and stimulate research and to improve the provision of trained manpower; and that the government should enter into immediate negotiations with European governments, in particular those of France and the Federal Republic of Germany, and with the commission of the EEC, aimed at the maximum possible pooling of national facilities for AGT research.
- House of Commons Paper 592.
Her Majesty's Stationery OfficeAtlantic Ho, Holborn Viaduct
London EC1P 1BN, England
- Publication Date: 1976-7-21
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 61 p.
- TRT Terms: Behavior; Concrete; Cubes; Development; Electric power generation and transmission; Errors; Forecasting; Intelligent transportation systems; Linear induction motors; Mathematical models; Reinforced concrete; Research; Strength of materials; Technology; Test tracks; Test vehicles; Tests; Tracked air cushion vehicles; Weighing devices
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models; Research and development; Scale
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Electric power collection; Hovertrain; Tracked air cushion research vehicle
- ITRD Terms: 1297: Air cushion vehicle; 2284: Education; 639: Exclusive right of way; 1152: Future transport mode; 1556: Legislation; 1306: Linear motor; 102: Personnel; 9109: Prototype; 1181: Rapid transit system; 5408: Speed; 1329: Suspension (veh); 2789: Test track; 8119: United Kingdom
- Subject Areas: Energy; Materials; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Research; I32: Concrete; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00159477
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: HC Paper 592 Monog Rpt.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1977 12:00AM