MODELS OF RAILROAD PASSENGER-CAR REQUIREMENTS IN THE NORTHEAST CORRIDOR. VOLUME I: FORMULATION AND RESULTS
Models and techniques for determining passenger-car requirements in railroad service were developed and applied by a research project of which this is the final report. The report is published in two volumes. This volume considers a general problem of determining optimal passenger-car allocations given a fixed schedule and predetermined demands. Requirements for car movements are modeled as a set of linear constraints having a transshipment structure, and alternative linear objectives are formulated. Various optimization techniques are developed for one or more objectives, and properties of the sets of optimal solutions are demonstrated. The remainder of Volume I shows how the linear model and optimization techniques may be applied to the Northeast Corridor. Derivations of a schedule and demands are explained, and results of a number of optimizations and analyses are displayed.
- See also Volume 2, PB-268 870.
National Bureau of Economic Research, IncorporatedComputer Research Center for Economics & Management Science
Cambridge, MA USA
Washington, DC USA 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Fourer, R
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Car utilization (Railroads); Cost allocation; Demand; Fleet management; Level of service; Linear programming; Mathematical models; Optimization; Passenger cars; Passenger service; Passenger transportation; Planning; Railroad cars; Railroad transportation; Railroads; Scheduling; Transportation operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services; Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: Northeast Corridor; Northeastern United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Allocations; Fleet planning; Intercity passenger services
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00159341
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/NECPO-76/21 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1179-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 20 1977 12:00AM