AN EXAMINATION OF TORT LIABILITY ISSUES CONNECTED WITH RELEASE OF ARRESTED, INTOXICATED DWI OFFENDERS
The authors have studied the legal issues concerning a non-jail option for DWI offenders and they explore the risks such procedures have for enforcement agencies. The report examines the tort liability of such agencies if a released offender crashes an automobile and injures himself or another, while still intoxicated from the original drinking episode. A survey of local jurisdictions is described and extensive case citations are given. Samples of illustrative state statutes are appended.
- Record URL:
National Safety Council444 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL United States 60611
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Little, J W
- Cooper, M
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcoholism; Alcohols; Drivers; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Injuries; Law enforcement; Laws; Legal factors; Police; Tort liability
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00159309
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-802-409 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-4-00965
- Files: NTIS, NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 31 1978 12:00AM