U.S. AIR CARRIER ACCIDENTS INVOLVING FIRE, 1965 THROUGH 1974 AND FACTORS AFFECTING THE STATISTICS
The study presents the statistical data on U.S. air carrier accidents involving fire from 1965 through 1974. The statistics are compared with data contained in Bureau of Safety Pamphlet (BOSP) 7-6-3, which treats the same subject for the years 1955 through 1964. The study concludes that there have been significant improvements in occupant survivability. While fire still occurs in about 20 percent of the accidents in scheduled passenger operations, the ratio of fatalities from all causes to exposed occupants has declined 65 percent in this study period and the ratio of fatalities from the effects of fire and smoke to exposed occupants has declined 37 percent. The almost exclusive use, in this study period, of turbojet-powered aircraft, their improved reliability, and the use of kerosene-type fuel are factors influencing the statistics. The anticipated upgrading of the Federal Aviation Regulations and the expected effects of the recently implemented requirements of 14 CFR 139 are expected to improve even further occupant survivability of accidents involving fire.
National Transportation Safety BoardBureau of Technology, 800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20594
- Publication Date: 1977-2-17
- Pagination: 64 p.
- TRT Terms: Air; Air transportation crashes; Aircraft; Airlines; Aviation fuels; Casualties; Civil aviation; Crash injury research; Crash investigation; Crash landing; Crashes; Fatalities; Fires; Flammability; Kerosene; Passenger aircraft; Regulations; Reliability; Rescue equipment; Research; Safety and security; Smoke; Statistical analysis; Statistics; Survival; Transportation safety; Turbojet engines
- Old TRIS Terms: Aircraft fires
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Data and Information Technology; Law; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00159258
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportational Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB-AAS-77-1 One-Time
- Files: TSR, TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1978 12:00AM