ECOLOGY OF FOULING COMMUNITIES U.S.--U.S.S.R. COOPERATIVE PROGRAM BEAUFORT, NORTH CAROLINA. U.S.A. 1975
Through review papers, and discussions between 25 U.S. scientists and 5 soviet scientists, current research involving the adult and larval ecology of those species comprising the fouling communities of the world's oceans were considered. Special emphasis was placed on the interrelationships between the adult and larval stages and how fouling communities are maintained, including the following subtopics: how morphological and physiological characteristics relate to reproductive success of populations and how larval characteristics and behavior may be modified by the environment; how the direction and velocity of currents, coupled with behavior of the larvae, may affect dispersal between geographically separated populations; taxonomic differences between geographically separated populations of adults; how the genetic basis for differences between and within geographically separated populations may be determined through laboratory experimentation; the role of larval dispersal in determining the genetic characteristics of populations; and an analysis of niche structure, diversity, and species packing of relevant communities. This volume contains both English and Russian versions of the text.
- Text in English Part 1. Text in Russian Part 2. English version only see AD-A040 655.
Office of Naval ResearchDepartment of the Navy, 800 North Quincy Street
Arlington, VA USA 22217
- Costlow, J D
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Pagination: 442 p.
- TRT Terms: Abstracts; Adults; Benthos; Coasts; Communities; Cooperation; Coral; Ecology; Ecosystems; Fouling organisms; Genetics; Habitat (Ecology); International; Invertebrates; Larvae; Life cycle analysis; Marine biology; Marine borers; Ocean currents; Oceans; Reefs; Workshops
- Uncontrolled Terms: Coastal regions
- Geographic Terms: Former Soviet Union
- Old TRIS Terms: Coral reefs; Ecological effects; Marine ecology; Ocean environments
- Subject Areas: Environment; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00159102
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1977 12:00AM