ANALYSIS OF MULTISPECTRAL DATA USING COMPUTER TECHNIQUES: PENNSYLVANIA, KANSAS, VIRGINIA, AND CALIFORNIA TEST SITES
This report summarizes analysis of multispectral scanner data collected over FHWA test sites in Pennsylvania, Kansas, Virginia and California. Day and night time imagery collected at aircraft altitudes in discrete bands of ultraviolet through thermal infrared radiation, were analyzed using computer-assisted techniques at the Laboratory for Applications of Remote Sensing (LARS). The overall objective for the test sites studied was to develop techniques for identifying and classifying through computer applications, those surface materials which are significant to highway location and design. Specific accomplishments of the study were (1) mapping surface geology, both unconsolidated and consolidated materials (California); (2) mapping agricultural soils (Pennsylvania); (3) engineering soils mapping (Kansas and to a lesser extent, Pennsylvania); (4) investigation of subsurface caverns (Kansas) and surface depressions (Virginia); (5) evaluating terrain effects on spectral response (California and Virginia and to lesser extent Kansas).
- See also PB-267 823. Also available in set of 5 reports PC E10, PB-267 819-SET.
Purdue UniversityLaboratory for Applications of Remote Sensing
Lafayette, Indiana, United States 47907
Washington, DC United States 20590
- West, T R
- Frederking, R L
- Stohr, C J
- Woodring, S M
- Publication Date: 1975-3
- Pagination: 39 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerial photography; Agriculture; Digital computers; Electromagnetic radiation; Electromagnetic spectrum; Geology; Highway design; Highways; Imagery; Information processing; Infrared detectors; Infrared radiation; Location; Mapping; Photogrammetry; Remote sensing; Scanners; Soils; Surveying; Surveying; Terrain; Topography; Ultraviolet radiation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Digital techniques; Highway location; Optical images
- Geographic Terms: California; Kansas; Pennsylvania; Virginia
- Old TRIS Terms: Multispectral photography; Scanning; Ultraviolet detection
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00159001
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-77- 34 Final Rpt., LARS-196200-1-T-FR, FCP 34E1-054
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7565
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1978 12:00AM