ANALYSIS OF MULTISPECTRAL DATA USING COMPUTER TECHNIQUES: KANSAS TEST SITES
This report documents the processing and analysis of multispectral aircraft scanner data collected over two FHWA test sites in Kansas. Day and nighttime flights, at 1500 feet, were flown for Site 4 (in Kansas City) using two thermal IR channels. The overall objective for this investigation, as well as for the other test sites studied under this contract, is to develop techniques for identifying and classifying, through computer applications, those surface materials which are of significance to highway location and construction. Specific accomplishments of the study were made under three separate tasks: (1) evaluation of a computer-assisted classification of the Kansas City Site thermal response to determine whether subsurface cavities could be located--they could not; (2) a detailed study of Site 5 to determine relationships between spectral classes of soil, selected landform types, and soil textural types (Unified Soil Classification) plus determine an engineering soils mapping technique using the current LARS capabilities--this task yielded positive results; (3) a continued assessment of the effects of various topographic elements on spectral response in order to improve soils mapping accuracies.
- See also PB-267 820. Also available in set of 5 reports PC E10, PB-267 819-SET.
Purdue UniversityLaboratory for Applications of Remote Sensing
Lafayette, Indiana, United States 47907
Washington, DC United States 20590
- West, T R
- Woodring, S M
- Frederking, R L
- Publication Date: 1973-12
- Pagination: 87 p.
- TRT Terms: Classification; Data collection; Digital computers; Highways; Imagery; Information processing; Infrared detectors; Location; Mapping; Optical detectors; Photogrammetry; Remote sensing; Road construction; Scanners; Soils; Streets; Terrain; Thermal stresses; Topography
- Uncontrolled Terms: Digital techniques; Highway classification; Highway location; Multispectral imagery; Thermal response
- Geographic Terms: Kansas
- Old TRIS Terms: Optical detection; Scanning
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00158998
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75- 14 Intrm Rpt., FCP 34E1-054
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7565
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1977 12:00AM