ANALYSIS OF MULTISPECTRAL DATA USING COMPUTER TECHNIQUES: PENNSYLVANIA TEST SITE
This report documents the processing and analysis of multispectral aircraft scanner data collected over the FHWA test site in southeastern Pennsylvania. The data were collected in May 1969 at 3,000 foot altitude in 15 discrete bands between 0.4 and 14.0 micrometers with subsequent analysis performed using computer-assisted techniques developed at the Laboratory for Applications of Remote Sensing (LARS). The overall objective for this investigation as well as for the other test sites studied under this contract is to develop techniques for identifying and classifying through computer applications, those surface materials which are of significance to highway location and construction. The specific accomplishments of this study were (1) mapping of basic cover types (soil, vegetation, water and man-made objects such as roads, highways, large buildings, town areas, etc.) and (2) differentiating soils according to the parent materials from which they were derived (river alluvium, limestone-derived soil, shale-derived soil, etc.). Evaluation of results was accomplished through a comparison with existing agricultural soils-and surface geology-maps. Advances were also made toward determination of engineering significance of spectral patterns in soils and effects of topography on spectral response.
- Also available in set of 5 reports PC E10, PB-267 819-SET.
Purdue UniversityLaboratory for Applications of Remote Sensing
Lafayette, Indiana, USA 47907
Washington, DC USA 20590
- West, T R
- Publication Date: 1973-9
- Pagination: 147 p.
- TRT Terms: Classification; Data processing; Digital computers; Geology; Highways; Imagery; Infrared detectors; Location; Mapping; Optical detectors; Photogrammetry; Remote sensing; Road construction; Scanners; Soils; Streets; Terrain; Topography
- Uncontrolled Terms: Digital techniques; Highway classification; Highway location; Multispectral imagery
- Geographic Terms: Pennsylvania
- Old TRIS Terms: Geology (Soils); Optical detection; Scanning
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00158997
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75- 13 Intrm Rpt., FCP 34E1-054
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7565
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1977 12:00AM