GOODS TRANSPORTATION IN URBAN AREAS. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ENGINEERING FOUNDATION CONFERENCE HELD AT SOUTH BERWICK, MAINE, ON AUGUST 5-10, 1973
A five-day conference to explore issues in urban goods movement was organized by representatives of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Highway Research Board, Institute of Traffic Engineers, and the U.S. Department of Transportation. Five areas were studied and reported by Probe Groups, namely (1) urban goods movement considerations in urban transportation planning, (2) freight terminal relocation, (3) issues in urban rail relocation, and (4) consolidation of pickup and delivery services. Each Probe Group report presents recommendations for action to improve urban goods movement. Eleven keynote, summary, and resource papers are presented covering such topics as Federal, state, and local programs for goods movement facilitation; terminal location and consolidation; improvement of intermodal transfer; regulation; and energy requirements for trucking. Five case studies describe ongoing regional programs in Dallas-Fort Worth, St. Louis, New England (Boston and Maine Railroad regional impact), northern New Jersey, and the New York City Garment Center.
Engineering FoundationUnited Engineering Center, 345 E 47th Street
New York, NY United States 10017
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Fisher, G P
- Publication Date: 1974-2
- Pagination: 401 p.
- TRT Terms: Coordination; Delivery service; Energy; Freight terminals; Freight transportation; Intermodal transportation; Level of service; Meetings; Pickup trucks; Planning; Railroad transportation; Regional planning; Regulations; Transportation planning; Trucks; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Geographic Terms: New England; New Jersey; New York (State); Texas
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Pickups
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Freight Transportation; Highways; Law; Motor Carriers; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00158990
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-32-01-23-RFP397Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1981 12:00AM