SAFE DRIVING KNOWLEDGE DISSEMINATION AND TESTING TECHNIQUES. VOLUME II. FINAL REPORT
A set of seven targeted driver license manuals and tests was developed for the following groups of drivers: New drivers, Youthful drivers, Renewal applicants, Older drivers, Traffic violators, Accident repeaters, and Drinking drivers. The manuals and tests were administered to a sample of 30,000 drivers, primarily from the state of Virginia, in order to determine their effectiveness in leading to acquisition, retention, and application of safe driving information. The assessment of information acquisition evidenced large knowledge gains for all target groups except the traffic violator group. A retention test was administered to the New driver and Renewal group after a five-month interval. The Older driver group showed a slight gain. In addition to the manuals, a one-hour audiovisual presentation covering the contents of the New Driver manual was developed.
- Prepared in cooperation with Central Missouri State Univ., Warrensburg. See also Volume 1, PB-267 726. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E08, PB-267 725-SET.
National Public Services Research Institute421 King Street
Alexandria, VA USA 22314
Central Missouri State University, WarrensburgP.O. Box 800
Warrensburg, MO USA 64093
Washington, DC USA 20590
- McKnight, A J
- Green, M A
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Pagination: 210 p.
- TRT Terms: Adolescents; Aged; Aged drivers; Alcoholism; Data collection; Driver licensing; Drivers; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Information dissemination; Information management; Information organization; Information systems; Licenses; Manuals; Prevention; Recidivism; Safety; Teenage drivers; Tests; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety; Traffic violators
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver license renewal; Motor vehicle accidents
- Geographic Terms: Virginia
- Old TRIS Terms: Retention psychology
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00158987
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., HS-802 363
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-4-00817
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1978 12:00AM