DEVELOPMENT AND TESTING OF A WASTEWATER RECYCLER AND HEATER
The results of this program have demonstrated the feasibility of an automatic and self-contained appliance that can recover and store usable hot water from waste laundry water, using essentially the same amount of energy as an equivalent-capacity water heater. It has been shown by extended evaluation tests with a waste stream of real laundry water that this unit is capable of recovering sterile hot water at a steady state rate of 22.7 liters/hour (6 gph) with a specific energy draw of 79 watt-hours/liter (299 watt-hours/gal), without the use of any expendable chemicals. It has also been shown by extended evaluation tests with a feed that simulates hospital wastewater preconcentrated by ultrafiltration and reverse osmosis that this unit can increase the solids concentration of a waste water from less than 2% to at least 29.3%. The results of a manufacturing cost analysis have shown that a conservative annual cost (that is, a maximum annual cost) of this appliance is $717 per year. Economic feasibility therefore is not demonstrable at present on a large scale. However, should water cost increase or the cost of the appliance decrease, a viable demand for household water recovery with the appliance would be possible.
- Prepared in cooperation with National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Washington, D.C., Army Medical Research and Development Command, Washington, D.C., and Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C.
CHEMTRIC, IncorporatedRosemont, IL United States
Municipal Environmental Research Laboratory26 West St Clair
Cincinnatic, OH United States 45219
- Guarino, V J
- Bambenek, R A
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Pagination: 106 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Brines; Costs; Design; Energy consumption; Evaporation; Fabrication; Performance tests; Water conservation; Water heaters
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Reclaimed water
- Old TRIS Terms: Distillation equipment; Laundries
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Environment; Finance; Freight Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00158929
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/600/2-76/289
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-03-0436
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Aug 4 2002 12:00AM