TRANSPORTATION NEEDS OF THE MOBILITY LIMITED
A study to define the public transit needs of the handicapped in northeastern Illinois is reported. Three sources of information were used in the study: census data, a mailed survey to obtain basic information about physical conditions and mobility limitations, and a home interview with a sample drawn from those receiving the mailed questionnaire. The survey instrument was designed to elicit information in six areas: existing travel patterns, health conditions, mobility or ability to get around, latent demand, demographic questions, and attitudes. The findings indicate that all people classified as mobility limited by conventional schemes were, regardless of label, mobile. A total of 63 percent used some form of public transportation and 19 percent actually drove themselves. Over 90 percent depended on others for transportation at least occasionally. In general, the more disabled a person was, the more that person was travel dependent on others. Three major factors with which the physically handicapped have difficulty were identified: vehicle environment, walking, and climbing. It was found that approximately 38 percent of those classed as handicapped have a significant mobility limitation. Mobility limitation varies by geographic location: 46 percent of the handicapped in urban areas are mobility limited, while 30 percent in high density suburban and 35 percent in low density suburban areas are mobility handicapped. A procedure for estimating travel demand for the handicapped was developed. Supporting data are provided in tabular form.
- Executive Summary available from PROJECT SHARE, P.O. Box 2309, Rockville, Md. 20852 as SHR-0001153/ES.
University of Illinois, ChicagoChicago, IL United States
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
Northeastern Illinois Planning Commission400 West Madison Street
Chicago, IL United States 60606
- Michaels, R M
- Weiler, N S
- Publication Date: 1974-9
- Pagination: 267 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Clients; Forecasting; Level of service; Measurement; Persons with disabilities; Public buildings; Regional planning; Service agencies; Social service; Specifications; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Requirements; Services
- Old TRIS Terms: Disabled; Public facilities
- Subject Areas: Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00158734
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 31 2002 12:00AM