DURABILITY AND BEHAVIOR OF PRESTRESSED CONCRETE BEAMS. REPORT 4. POSTTENSIONED CONCRETE BEAM INVESTIGATION WITH LABORATORY TESTS FROM JUNE 1961 TO SEPTEMBER 1975
This report is the fourth in a series describing a study which is being conducted to develop information on the durability of prestressed concrete beams. Twenty posttensioned concrete beams were cast and installed at the Treat Island exposure station. The beams were cast around four different types of posttensioning systems, with the posttensioning reinforcement cast at four different eccentricities. Twelve different types of end anchorage protection were cast over external and flush anchorages. The end anchorage protection was attached to the beam with four different types of joint preparation. The beams were subjected to tidal inundations (wetting and drying) two times each day and also to an average of 131 cycles of freezing and thawing per winter for a test period of 12 to 13 winters. During the fall of 1973, five beams were returned to the U.S. Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station for autopsy and testing. The testing included: (a) structural testing, visual evaluation of the condition, and dissection of the concrete beams; (b) visual evaluation of the end anchorages and the posttensioning conduit; (c) autopsy of the posttensioning system; (d) structural testing of the posttensioning strands; (e) analysis of the products of corrosion on the steel strands; and (f) analysis of the concrete and grout of the beams.
- See also Rept. no. WES-TR-6-570-5, AD-A025 694.
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS USA 39180-6199
- O'Neil, E F
- Publication Date: 1977-2
- Pagination: 177 p.
- TRT Terms: Anchorages; Beams; Concrete; Corrosion; Diffraction; Durability; Field tests; Freeze thaw durability; Grout; Laboratory tests; Life expectancy; Posttensioning; Prestressed concrete; Prestressing; Reinforced concrete; Reinforcing materials; Seawater; Steel; Structural analysis; Tensile strength; Weathering; Wire; X rays
- Candidate Terms: Seawater corrosion
- Uncontrolled Terms: X-ray diffraction
- Old TRIS Terms: Beams (Structural); Environmental tests
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; Society;
- Accession Number: 00158490
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WES-TR-6-570-4 Tech Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1977 12:00AM