FLIGHT LINE EXTINGUISHER EVALUATION
A two-phase test program was conducted to determine the optimum mechanical conversion of the FEU-1, CB-10 flight line fire extinguisher to enable it to utilize Halon 1211 (Bromochlorodifluoromethane) as the fire extinguishing agent instead of Chlorobromomethane (CB). Phase I tests included static discharges to determine the optimum nitrogen pressurization and fill ratios for both an internally pressurized and externally pressurized configuration. Tests were also conducted to screen the most effective nozzles from a group of about sixteen to evaluate further on live fires during Phase II. The first phase also included tests to determine the area of fire likely to occur when various amounts of jet (JP4) fuel are spilled on a hard, flat surface. Phase II included live fire tests using the nozzles, pressures and fill ratios selected as candidates in Phase I. After the completion of fire tests to determine the optimum combination of hardware using experienced operators, the effectiveness of the appliance in the hands of novice operators was also studied on simulated fuel spill fires as well as engine fires, tire fires, and three dimensional aircraft fires. Following the fire tests, the selected configurations were discharged after conditioning to tropic and arctic conditions to find out if the units were still operable and effective.
Aircraft Ground Fire Suppression & Rescue OFF, DODWright-Patterson AFB
Dayton, OH United States 45433
- Chambers, G D
- Publication Date: 1977-1
- Pagination: 93 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Aircraft fuels; Airport terminals; Chemical spills; Earthwork; Equipment tests; Fire extinguishers; Fire extinguishing agents; Fire fighting; Fire fighting equipment; Fires; Mechanical engineering; Nitrogen; Nozzles; Pressurization; Radiometers; Simulation; Test procedures; Tires
- Uncontrolled Terms: Conversion
- Old TRIS Terms: Aircraft fires; Aircraft tires; Discharge; Environmental tests; Test equipment
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00158485
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOD-AGFSRS-76-9 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1978 12:00AM