OVERVIEW -- ENERGY AND THE AUTOMOBILE
This paper reviews various aspects of automobile fuel economies in connection with the major factors: power plant and accessories; aerodynamic drag; tire or rolling resistance inertial mass; driving patterns; and length of trip. The paper also discusses the future closed-loop adaptive electronic controls for optimum fuel economy and the control of exhaust emissions.
- Prepared for meeting held May 16-18, 1977.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10016-5990
- Shupe, D S
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamics; Air pollution; Air quality management; Automobiles; Electric power plants; Electronic control; Energy; Exhaust gases; Feedback control; Fuel conservation; Fuel consumption; Loops (Control systems); Rolling; Tires; Vehicle power plants
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines; Exhaust emission control
- Subject Areas: Energy; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00158376
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: ASME 77-RC-5
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 27 1977 12:00AM