DIRECT RECORDING OF WHEEL-RAIL PARAMETERS
There are no published results of direct measurement of the geometic parameters which control the lateral movement of a worn wheel on a worn rail. Displacement of a worn wheel over a worn rail itself provides a method measuring such parameters. In this manner the real values of effective conicity and gravitational stiffness can be evaluated. In order to give lateral displacement, an apparatus has been designed suitable for measurements to be taken at the railside. At each lateral movement the wheels are lifted from the track. Tests of the apparatus, using temporary instrumentation, are discussed. A newly designed measurement system is described based on the results of the preliminary testing. A description of the apparatus and instrumentation is given. With the aid of this equipment, the geometric parameters can be measured. Experiments are now necessary to evaluate the system in service and to acquire results.
Canadian Institute of Guided Ground TransportQueen's University
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
- Blader, F B
- Publication Date: 1975-10
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Instrumentation; Rail (Railroads); Rolling contact; Wear; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00158213
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Canadian Institute of Guided Ground Transport
- Report/Paper Numbers: CIGGT-75-13 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1977 12:00AM