THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY OF COAL
Thermal conductivity (kappa sub k) measurements on thermal coal from the Corbin Coal Mine, Corbin ,B.C., supplied by Byron Coal Mine Ltd., Blairmore, Alberta, were made by the transient head flow probe method at four temperatures, 15, 5, -5 and -15 degrees C, for four moisture contents (m.c.) and two densities (gamma sub d). The measured gamma sub d ranged from 0.2 W/mK for low m.c. and gamma sub d conditions (m.c. = 5.2%, gamma sub d = 62.2 lb/sq ft) to 0.3 W/mK for high m.c. and gamma sub d conditions (m.c. = 13.2% gamma sub d = 70.9 lb/ sq ft) at 15 degrees C and the above moisture and density conditions, the range was from 0.17 to 0.34 W/mK. The thermal conductivity was measured separately at four different dry densities in order to find a relationship that would permit the interpolation of thermal conductivities at other densities. A straight-line relationship between ln kappa sub k and gamma sub d appeared to best correlate thermal conductivity and density over the density range from 59.7 to 74.9 lb/ sq ft. Particle size distribution determinations carried out by dry sieving the coal before and after compaction show particle breakdown was not occurring during specimen preparation and/or freeze-thaw processes. Appendix A contains a linear statistical analysis of the results.
- Sponsored by Canadian National and Canadian Pacific Railways and the National Research Council of Canada.
Canadian Institute of Guided Ground TransportQueen's University
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
- Penner, E
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo; Bulk cargo handling; Coal; Cold weather; Freezing; Moisture content; Open top cars; Operations; Temperature measurement; Thermal properties
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulk coal; Bulk materials
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00158204
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Canadian Institute of Guided Ground Transport
- Report/Paper Numbers: CIGGT-76-9 Final Rpt., NRC-399
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1980 12:00AM