CANADIAN RAILWAY ELECTRIFICATION STUDY: PHASE I--OVERVIEW
This report is a digest and overview of the full electrification report of 764 pages. In the report, a review of both technical and economic factors is undertaken to bring into sharper focus the time frame in which it might be expected that electrification of significant portions of Canadian railways is likely to occur. Technical solutions for the unique Canadian conditions are available; however, further analysis is required to identify the acceptable solutions and their costs. The supply of electric power to meet the demands of heavy unit trains at reasonable cost, without disrupting other supply utility customers, is identified as an important technical problem. A program of investigation, research, and development designed to permit a smooth transition to effective electrified operation is outlined. The building of a 400-mile prototype operation on an existing mainline track is recommended as part of this program. The distribution of economic and other national benefits should encourage federal participation in an electrification program of national scale. The study, considering over 11,000 track miles, suggests that if electrification is to occur it cannot begin too soon.
- Sponsored by the Transportation Research and Development Center, Canada, Railway Advisory Committee.
Canadian Institute of Guided Ground TransportQueen's University
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
- CORNEIL, E R
- LAW, C E
- Lake, R W
- McDougall, J L
- SCHWIER, C
- English, G W
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 102 p.
- TRT Terms: Catenaries (Railroads); Economic analysis; Electric locomotives; Electric power supply; Energy consumption; Financial capital; Inductive interference; Prototypes; Railroad electrification; Thyristors; Traffic signal control systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Energy requirements; Signal systems
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Economics; Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00158200
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Canadian Institute of Guided Ground Transport
- Report/Paper Numbers: CIGGT-76-10
- Contract Numbers: OST5-0036
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1977 12:00AM