ANALYSIS OF URBAN TRANSPORTATION NEEDS WITH IMPLICATIONS FOR AGT SYSTEMS
In this report the current and future development of urban form is illustrated and analyzed in terms of its specific implications for automated guideway systems (AGT). Five cities that are representative of the range of urban attributes in the nation are examined--Chicago, Baltimore, Kansas City, Phoenix, and Grand Rapids. To identify what transportation modes satisfy the transportation needs, seven broad modal categories, operating and economic characteristics, energy consumption and pollution levels are presented. These measures are presented in detail for seven generic modes--Rail Rapid Transit, Light Rail, Conventional Bus, Group Rapid Transit, Personal Rapid Transit, Dail-A-Ride, and Auto. Conclusions as to the ability of AGT, as well as various other possible systems of transportation, to satisfy the predicted future needs of multi-nucleated urban areas are reached through the use of models of applicable demand range, which present, at one end, capacity capability and, at the other, necessary patronage for viable fiscal operation of such systems. Performance measures are developed for line-haul and circulation systems. The line-haul measures are given in terms of the boarding per hour per mile as determined by the capacity of the system and by the fiscal and fare policies. These measures are used to illustrated an approach to developing circulation measures, which are given in terms of the demand density that can be accommodated by the systems, as a function of the system characteristics and the area covered.
- Sponsored by DOT, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Johns Hopkins University, BaltimoreCenter for Metropolitan Planning and Research
Baltimore, MD USA 21218
- Publication Date: 1975-7
- Pagination: 436 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated guideway transit; Automated vehicle control; Automobiles; Bus transit; Bus transportation; Clamps; Direct current; Energy consumption; Guideways; Light rail transit; Line haul; Mathematical models; Needs assessment; Paratransit services; Passengers; Personal rapid transit; Pollution; Rapid transit; Ridership; Transportation; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models
- Old TRIS Terms: Automated guideway systems; Automated transit system; Bus services; Energy requirements; Line haul transport
- Subject Areas: Energy; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00158147
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MD-11-0001-77-1Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 28 1981 12:00AM