FUNDAMENTALS OF FROST ACTION IN SUBGRADE SOILS
The research report deals with the investigative work done to develop a routine test for soil frost susceptibility. The objectives of the test investigation were: (1) the refinement of a testing apparatus constructed by M.I.T. and similar in design to apparatus developed and tested at M.I.T. under a previous HRP project; (2) the development of routine testing and soil frost susceptibility categorization procedures; (3) the implementation of testing program to provide the Design Engineers with soil frost susceptibility design data. The objectives have not been accomplished with the existing equipment-even after numerous equipment and procedural modifications. The results of testing on both typical field and laboratory blended soil types are discussed herein along with the encountered procedural and equipment problems. Recommendations for termination of testing with the existing equipment and for equipment modifications for possible future work are made.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/44D4044
- Sponsored by and prepared in cooperation with DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Harrisburg, PA USA 17112
- Cumberledge, G
- Hoffman, G L
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Pagination: 73 p.
- TRT Terms: Frost action; Frost susceptible soil; Soil types; Subgrade (Pavements); Test facilities
- Uncontrolled Terms: Soil classification
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00158112
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- ISBN: 44D4-044
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-PA-RD-68-13
- Contract Numbers: 68-13
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 13 1977 12:00AM