INTERNALLY SEALED CONCRETE: MATERIAL CHARACTERIZATION AND HEAT TREATING STUDIES
The work described herein was aimed at developing the information and processes necessary for efficient experimental construction of bridge decks using internally sealed concrete. This concrete is sealed by means of wax included in the mix, and was developed for use in bridge decks to prevent the penetration of water and chlorides to the reinforcing steel. Specific goals of the study were: (1) The development of safet, efficient field heating systems needed to melt the wax and seal the concrete. (2) The definition of the engineering properties of the particular internally sealed concrete specified for the experimental projects. During the early testing phases, concrete cracking problems were encountered and circumvented by modifying the heating and bead-manufacturing processes. Heating equipment experiments performed to develop both small, single pass, fast-heating equipment and equipment which slowly heats a large area at once are described. Also discussed are the tests performed to document the engineering properties of internally sealed concrete (i.e., strength, bond to underlying concrete and reinforcing steel, abrasion resistance, skid resistance, shrinkage, etc.). Finally, the findings of an analysis of two prototype internally sealed decks built in 1975 and heat treated in 1976 are presented.
- Sponsored by DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- CLEAR, K C
- Forster, S W
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Pagination: 73 p.
- TRT Terms: Abrasion resistance; Bonding; Bridge decks; Concrete; Cracking; Heating equipment; Materials selection; Metal heating; Properties of materials; Sealing (Technology); Shrinkage; Skid resistance; Strength of materials; Waxes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Concrete cracking; Heat treatment
- Old TRIS Terms: Materials evaluation; Sealing
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00158104
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-77- 16 Intrm Rpt., FCP 24B1422
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 13 1977 12:00AM