LAND USE AND ARTERIAL SPACING IN SUBURBAN AREAS
This report provides guidelines for correlating arterial street systems with development patterns and densities in representative suburban areas. The guidelines supplement conventional methods of traffic forecasting and circulation planning in cases where technical resources are limited or quick estimates for alternative development proposals are needed. Guidelines are given in Chart 1 to relate areawide suburban development densities, per-mile traffic volumes, and arterial street system lanes and spacing. Since supplemental charts provide areawide adjustment factors for different project size and density combinations, level of traffic service, transit utilization, car ownership, nonresidential-residential mix, and freeway diversion. A second series of charts presents traffic relationships for concentrated development (major traffic generators). Charts are provided for airport, industrial, university, office, government, shopping center, hospital, and apartment concentration. A summary chart translates the daily traffic figures into the number of street lanes required for access to the major generator.
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
GRUEN ASSOCIATESLOS ANGELES, CA United States
National Assn of Counties Research Foundation1735 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20006
- Pearson, F C
- Schoener, G E
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Pagination: 56 p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Arterial highways; Automobile ownership; Density; Development; Governments; Industries; Land use; Networks; Office buildings; Public transit; Shopping centers; Streets; Suburbs; Traffic forecasting; Traffic volume; Universities and colleges
- Old TRIS Terms: Circulation
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Education and Training; Highways; Public Transportation; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00158100
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-PL-77016
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8746, DOT-FH-11-7876
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 13 1977 12:00AM