PAVING ASPHALTS: ASPHALT-AGGREGATE INTERACTIONS AND ASPHALT INTERMOLECULAR INTERACTIONS
The isolation, identification and quantitative measurement of the functional group types in asphalt that are strongly adsorbed at the asphalt-aggregate interface are described. A 4 x 4 matrix of four different asphalts and four different aggregates was used in the study. The relative affinity of the various functional types for the aggregate surfaces is assessed. Association-dissociation interactions of asphalt molecules were studied by microcalorimetry. Methods for calculating the association rate constants, the number of molecular units in an associated complex, and the enthalpy and energy of activation of the association reactions are described. Experimentally derived values are cited for selected asphalt. Relationships between molecular interactions and micelle formation in asphalts are proposed. The heats of immersion of a variety of asphalt-aggregate systems were determined. The energy released when aggregate is immersed in asphalt is proposed as indicative of the strength of the asphalt-aggregate bond. In the study, both experimental asphalts and conventional paving asphalts were evaluated. A variety of aggregates including those produced from byproducts and wastes were also tested.
- Sponsored by DOT, Federal Highway Administration. Work was performed as part of Government Interagency Cooperative Research Program.
Energy Research and Development AdministrationLaramie Energy Research Center, P.O. Box 3395
Laramie, WY United States 82071
- Petersen, J C
- Ensley, E K
- Plancher, H
- Haines, W E
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Pagination: 50 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Asphalt; Identification systems; Molecules; Plastics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Identification; Interaction
- Old TRIS Terms: Heat of immersion; Isolation; Micelles
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00158088
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-77- 25 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: P.O. No. 3-1-0716
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 13 1977 12:00AM