PEOPLE MOVER PROFILE
As part of its ongoing commitment to the concept of technology sharing, the U.S. Department of Transportation has initiated a series of publications on transportation topics which focus on a variety of subject areas. This report is part of such a series. PEOPLE MOVER PROFILE acquaints readers with the subject of people movers in conjunction with UMTA's Downtown People Mover (DPM) Project. The project's aim is to demonstrate the benefits of fully automated people mover systems in downtown urban areas. To date, people movers, installed in controlled environments such as airports and recreation parks, have demonstrated that they are proven operational systems. The DPM Project will demonstrate the feasibility of installing a people mover system in the harsher and more demanding environment of downtown urban areas. This profile report is divided into three sections. The first, a narrative overview, briefly discusses the subject of people movers. The second section consists of detailed technical data and photographs of manufacturers and suppliers of existing people mover systems. The third section, the supplementary material, contains a glossary of terms used in this document in addition to the aforementioned UMTA DPM Project material. Technical data in this profile report were obtained from the people mover manufacturers and suppliers who are responsible for its accuracy.
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated guideway transit; Automated vehicle control; Central business districts; Glossaries; People movers; Personal rapid transit; Transportation planning; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Automated guideway systems; Automated transit system
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00158085
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0081-77-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: MA-06-0081
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 13 1982 12:00AM