TRANSIT STATION AREA JOINT DEVELOPMENT: STRATEGIES FOR IMPLEMENTATION ECONOMIC CASE STUDIES. VOLUME 2
Case studies is a separate and supplement volume to the Final Report of the Joint Development Study and contains the complete reports on each of the station areas discussed in the Final Report. Case Studies reviews specific examples of joint development. Such an analysis permits an investigation of practical problems faced in creating joint development projects, and it provides a laboratory for testing the usefulness of alternative implementation techniques. Information in this report should be useful to planners. Thus far, transit planners have not included property value impacts as one of the variables used to determine route alignment and station locations. Case studies focuses on the economic analysis of land values in specific transit areas and purports to develop a simple and inexpensive methodology for estimating transit impact and providing a basis for value capture policy. The methodology used in the empirical research (described in Final Report) is conceptually simple and has been designed to be easily applicable by individuals who possess a good working knowledge of development conditions within a given station area. In this report the methodology was applied to the study of land values in fourteen different station areas in four cities: Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Baltimore, and Atlanta. Case Studies are "live" examples of joint development representing a variety of situations and reflecting diverse attempts to deal with actual obstacles. Work in this area covers historical examples as far back as 1900, as well as current projects and proposed developments.
- Sponsored by DOT, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Administration and Management Research Association250 Broadway
New York, NY USA 10007
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-2
- Pagination: 355 p.
- TRT Terms: Case studies; Economic analysis; Empirical methods; Implementation; Joint development; Land values; Rail transit stations; Railroad stations; Transportation planning; Urban transportation; Value capture; Value engineering
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Research; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00158066
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-NY-06-0047-77-2
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UMTA-NY-06-0047
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 13 1981 12:00AM