USE OF BARTONSVILLE BRIDGE TO WEIGH TRUCKS IN MOTION
Results of a mission oriented pilot study are presented. The study has three main objectives; (1) design two instrumentation systems (main and back-up) incorporating a span of the Bartonsville Bridge on I-80 near TR-33 to weigh mainly 5-axle trucks in motion and without driver awareness, (2) field test the systems to determine their feasibility, and (3) if feasible, collect sufficient data to evaluate the possible extent of overloaded 5-axle trucks on I-80. The main system employs strain gages on all girders at two cross-sections. The back-up system employs deflection gages on all girders at the same cross-sections. A single output from each system was recorded using the oscillograph trace recorders on board the FHWA instruments trailer. Calibration was by means of two trucks of known weight and axle spacing travelling periodically over the span. Results are presented in the form of frequency histograms showing the frequency distributions for tractor weight (steering plus drive axles), trailer weight (trailer axles), individual drive and trailer axle weight and gross vehicle weight as determined from each instrumentation system. The main system appeared to give more realistic results. The study concluded that of the total 5-axle truck traffic recorded during the sample period, about 20% exceeded the Pennsylvania legal gross vehicle weight for 5-axle trucks.
- Sponsored by Pennsylvania DOT and prepared in cooperation with DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Lehigh UniversityFritz Engineering Laboratory
Bethlehem, PA United States 18015
- Daniels, J H
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Pagination: 86 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Field studies; Highway bridges; Instrumentation; Load limits; Oversize loads; Overweight loads; Trucks; Trucks by weight; Weighing devices; Weight
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00158063
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-PA-RD-75-17-1 Final Rpt., FCP 45F4022
- Contract Numbers: HPR 75-17
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 13 1977 12:00AM