AVAILABILITY OF MINING WASTES AND THEIR POTENTIAL FOR USE AS HIGHWAY MATERIAL--VOLUME II. LOCATION OF MINING AND METALLURGICAL WASTES AND MINING INDUSTRY TRENDS
Over 1.7 billion tons of mining and metallurgical wastes are produced each year in the United States. Many of these materials possess properties which make them potentially useful for construction purposes. Although some of these materials have been successfully used in certain phases of highway construction, most are avoided in favor of conventional materials. More information is needed regarding the types, locations, quantities, and nature of these wastes. This study was performed to determine the availability of mining and metallurgical wastes and to assess their potential for use in highway construction. A large number of information sources were used to develop an inventory and classification system for these wastes. Information presented in Volume II was obtained mainly from knowledgeable personnel in the mining industry and government agencies, supplemented by key reports and industry periodicals. Maps and tabulations of mineral wastes from 35 principal mining states are presented in this volume. This is the second of three volumes, Volume I, published as FHWA-RD-76-106, is subtitled "Classification and Technical and Environmental Analysis"; Volume III, published as FHWA-RD-76-108, is subtitled "Annotated Bibliography."
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Valley Forge Laboratories, Incorporated6 Berkeley Road
Devon, PA United States 19333
- COLLINS, R J
- Publication Date: 1976-5
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 138 p.
- TRT Terms: Building materials; Maps; Metallurgy; Mining; Road construction; Supply; Wastes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Availability
- Subject Areas: Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00158046
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-76-107 Final Rpt., FCP 34C3-012
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8784
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 13 1977 12:00AM