THE IMPACT OF EMISSIONS FROM TRANSPORTATION SOURCES ON AIR QUALITY: ATMOSPHERIC AEROSOL, FINAL REPORT AND EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The results are presented of an aerosol characterization, inventory and modeling study conducted in Portland, Oregon. Physical and chemical characteristics of central urban and highway related aerosols were examined by chemical and morphological analysis of impactor and hi-vol samples. The origin of aerosol species were examined in order to identify chemical species uniquely associated with major aerosol sources (tracers). Aerosol inventories based on mass balance calculations with chemical "tracers" were performed on an annual and seasonal basis for several sampling sites in the Urban area. Aerial and ground mobile monitoring was conducted of oxidant, SO sub x and visibility reducing particulates were separately identified. An advection-dispersion model, ROADS, was developed which estimates the concentration of pollutants near roadbeds, including highway cut sections and in the vicinity of sloping terrain. ROADS estimates the concentrations of reactive gaseous species and aerosol through the inclusion of PSMOG, a 22-step computer reactivity model. A computer model, VIS1, was developed which predicts visual range from data on characteristics of the ambient or source aerosol. All models were demonstrated to reproduce field sampling results (smog chamber results in the case of PSMOG) as reported in the literature.
- Sponsored by Oregon DOT and prepared in cooperation with DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Oregon Graduate Center19600 NW Walker Road
Beaverton, OR United States 97005
- Baum, E J
- Pitter, R L
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 280 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerosols; Air pollution; Chemical analysis; Computer programs; Exhaust gases; Inventory; Mathematical models; Oxidizing agents; Sampling; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models
- Old TRIS Terms: Oxidant
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00158044
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-OR-76-5 Final Rpt., FHWA-OR-76-6, FCP 43F3072
- Contract Numbers: 5149-621-10
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 13 1977 12:00AM