ENERGY AND ECONOMIC IMPACTS OF PROJECTED FREIGHT TRANSPORTATION IMPROVEMENTS
This study examines current and future energy impacts for each major freight mode, by commodity, and, in many cases, by vehicle types. It also discusses potential economic impacts of these anticipated changes. The study is limited to intercity freight movements of both private and for-hire carriers. The study includes a determination of base case energy scenarios for 1972, 1980, and 1985 to serve as a basis for evaluating operational and technological impacts by 1980 and 1985 for an industry change scenario (in which industry is likely to implement changes on its own), and the government influence scenario (where changes could be accelerated by changes in economic and regulatory policies). Much of the data and findings contained in this study represent original research, but based on a relatively incomplete national data base. The report discusses in detail operational and technological changes which will have energy and economic impacts on each of the freight modes included in the report. Greater emphasis was given to intercity freight transportation by truck and railroad, with less emphasis on inland, coastal, and great lakes movements, pipelines and air freight.
- Sponsored by the Office of the Secretary, U.S. DOT, through the DOT's Transportation Systems Center.
Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Company1025 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
- LEILICH, R H
- Cohen, R D
- GREEN, A
- KENDRICK, M J
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Pagination: 448 p.
- TRT Terms: Air cargo; Air transportation; Commodities; Competition; Economic impacts; Economic policy; Energy; Energy conservation; Energy consumption; Forecasting; Freight transportation; Inland waterways; Modal split; Motor carriers; Operations; Pipelines; Planning; Policy; Regulations; Statistics; Transportation modes
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Commodity statistics; Energy intensiveness; Government policies; Operations planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Aviation; Data and Information Technology; Economics; Energy; Environment; Freight Transportation; Law; Motor Carriers; Pipelines; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00157703
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-OST-76-61 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1977 12:00AM