A BIBLIOGRAPHY ON RAIL TECHNOLOGY
This rail technology review provides assistance to a number of rail technology programs initiated by the Transportation Systems Center (TSC) for the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). The results of a search and review in four specific areas in the field of rail technology are presented in the form of a bibliography with descriptive abstracts, source acknowledgments, and availabilities. The geographic scope of the review was worldwide with particular emphasis on the literature of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Western Europe, the Soviet Union, and Japan. The technical scope of investigations for which abstracts are presented include such important topics as the nondestructive examination of rails, the determination of rail stresses and strains and factors affecting them, rail failure behavior and the analysis of rails-in-service, and the metallurgical aspects of rail steel and its production. The time period covered by the review is 1965 through 1975, with particular emphasis on the past five years. Types of literature covered include: journal articles, conference papers, reports, textbooks, handbooks, and unpublished papers. Indices for the identification of the abstracts are provided.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by the FRA/U.S. DOT, Office of Research and Development, through the DOT Transportation Systems Center, under Interagency agreement with the Defense Supply Agency, Dayton, Ohio 45444.
Battelle Columbus LaboratoriesMetals and Ceramics Information Center
Columbus, OH United States 43201
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Chapin, W E
- King, R D
- Pestel, H C
- Breslin, R H
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 538 p.
- TRT Terms: Bibliographies; Defects; Failure; Fatigue (Physiological condition); Fracture mechanics; Nondestructive tests; Rail (Railroads); Rail fasteners; Rail steel; Steel plants; Stresses; Tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Rail failure; Rail steel metallurgy; Rail stress
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00157702
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-77/15 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: RA-75-19
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1978 12:00AM