A STUDY OF HEURISTIC-OPTIMIZATION MODELS FOR SERVICE-REQUEST VEHICLE/CREW ROUTING WITH TIME WINDOWS IN A GIS ENVIRONMENT
This paper addresses the construction of effective heuristic-optimization models for the Service-Request Vehicle/Crew Routing with Time Windows(SRVCRTW) problem. Three basic models and the development of a software package for SRVCRTW problem in a Geographic Information System (GIS) environment are presented. Among three basic models, Hard-TW Model improves Solomon's model in terms of insertion criteria and defines the double-objective for SRVCRTW problem. Impacts of contributing factors on route solutions are analyzed and a set of appropriate values for these parameters are suggested based on tests carried out in a real case study. Second, Negotiable-TW Model and Division-Duty Model are proposed based on the demand of real-life service-request problems. Finally, the software package developed in a GIS environment provides an effective and convenient tool to SRVCRTW problem. With the use of good programming procedures and attention to related database structure, excellent performance and functionality was experienced.
- Compendium of Student Papers Presented at the 1997 Transportation Scholar's Conference, Iowa State University, November 14, 1997
Iowa State University, AmesCenter for Transportation Research and Education, 2711 South Loop Drive
Ames, IA United States 50011-8664
- Wei, H
- Publication Date: 1997
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Geographic information systems; Heuristic methods; Optimization; Routing; Time periods
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; I71: Traffic Theory;
- Accession Number: 00770366
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 5 1999 12:00AM