FROM WORKHORSE TO THOROUGHBRED - A BETTER ROLE FOR BUS TRAVEL
This consultation document details the UK Government's policy plans for public bus transport. It explains the Government's new thinking, and invites comments and debate on many issues. It presents a challenge to all concerned, including local authorities and the bus industry itself. Its policies provide a framework for integrating buses with other public transport modes: coaches, rail, metro, and air. They place a new emphasis on quality transport to meet the needs of travellers and the environment. They show the Government's commitment to improve mobility and enhance the quality of life for all. The main policy changes are: (1) a new framework for local authority influence over buses, where a more strategic view of local public transport provision will be taken by local authorities preparing new local transport plans and strategies; (2) statutory backing for strengthening voluntary Quality Partnerships between local authorities and bus operators; (3) a package of measures to end the deregulation 'free-for-all'; (4) better provision of bus information and other passenger information about public transport; (5) more joint ticketing; (6) minimum standards for concessionary fares; (7) service frequency enhancements; and (8) the option of bus 'Quality Contracts' for area-wide integrated public transport networks.
DEPARTMENT OF THE ENVIRONMENT, TRANSPORT AND THE REGIONSELAND HOUSE, BRESSENDEN PLACE
LONDON, United Kingdom SW1E 5DU
- Publication Date: 1999
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Air; Buses; Environmental protection; Federal government; Industries; Local government agencies; Mobility; Passenger information systems; Policy; Public participation; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Subways; Tariffs
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 6714: Air; 1272: Bus; 1271: Coach; 2444: Environment protection; 183: Government (national); 332: Industry; 192: Local authority; 9105: Mobility (pers); 8786: Passenger information; 173: Policy; 142: Public participation; 744: Public transport; 1173: Rail bound transport; 241: Tariff; 1191: Underground railway; 8119: United Kingdom
- Subject Areas: Environment; Policy; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00769950
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Oct 7 1999 12:00AM